Pediatric surgery is a specialty that focuses on surgical detection and/or treatment for a range of deformities and conditions that occurs only in the children. The patients for this specialty includes fetuses, infants, toddlers, and even adolescents.
The 2 subspecialties of pediatric surgery includes
- Fetal surgery – The surgical approach to detect congenital defects or conditions of a fetus
- Neonatal surgery – The surgical detection and treatment of congenital or acquired illnesses or deformities of infants and young children
Some of the most common conditions that require pediatric surgery are
- Separation of conjoint twins
- Congenital deformities like cleft lip/ palate and others
- Chest and abdominal wall defects
- Childhood tumors
Due to the extremely young age of patients, the pediatric surgeries are considered risky and require experts to perform them effectively. Depending upon the degree of severity, they can be referred to other specialists. Some of such specialties are pediatric cardiothoracic, pediatric neurosurgery, pediatric emergency surgery, pediatric nephrological surgery, pediatric urological surgery, pediatric plastic, and reconstructive surgery, pediatric oncological surgery and others.
At Imperial Multispeciality Hospital, we have experienced pediatric surgery to deal with a wide range of pediatric conditions and deformities.